Thursday, March 19, 2009

Hens in the hen house!

It's been a while since I last posted, but life has been busy! So, this will be a short one today. Our friends (and neighbors) just got chickens, 3 hens. Kevin built a nice little coop for them and everything. Well, they had to go out of town so we got to chicken-sit them. Which is really easy, you just open and close the door to the hen house each day and collect the eggs. Easy and pretty fun actually. Below are some pictures of Josh and I doing hen duty.
Out they come in the morning. Kevin and Brook's girls have named them Bella, Jasmine and Cinderella. Don't ask me which one is coming out though.



They are pretty friendly and will let you pet them without pecking you at all. But, the best part of this is Josh...



He loves anything outdoors; he'd have made a great farmer actually. Anyway, one morning I had him go let the hens out by himself, since he'd been with me for a few days and knew what to do. I told him to check for eggs and bring any home if he found them. Well, he was gone forever. I was getting worried when he burst in the garage door, his face beaming. "Mom!!! Guess what?!?! I was looking for eggs and the white chicken was squawking and groaning and I looked at her, and she stood up, and she pooped an egg out of her butt hole!!! I SAW it come out! I actually saw it, it was so freaking awesome. So I picked it up, and it was all hot and slimy still, and look!" he proudly pulls it out of the sack and displays said egg. "Here it is! Feel how warm it is still!!!" Oh my it was so funny! Josh has officially been privy to his first labor and delivery. I personally wouldn't have touched the slimy egg, and it was still hot when he brought it home. It made his day, and I'm sure his teacher got to hear all about it at school. So, I am bugging Chris to get us some hens, we'll see how that goes! I mean really, why not? We already live in a Zoo of sorts, a few birds would add a bit of flare and variety.

Lastly, I know you all are just dying to see Max, since he's grown so much. (he really has!) So here are a couple of pictures Riley took the other day.
He's almost to big to hold this way anymore, plus he really doesn't like it. But he's such a good boy and lets me do it once in a while. (nice face on my part, Riley says smile after she takes the pictures)
And it's Max and me. He's gotten really big, we just want him to get bigger and bigger, he's been such fun, and so far is proving to be just as wonderful as our last Shepherd, Smokey. Everyone should have a German Shepherd, really.




5 comments:

  1. How fun for Josh! I don't think I would have touched it either and I DID grow up on a farm! Good for him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so you know my dad thinks he is going to get us some baby chicks or baby rabbits complete with a cage thing. It is so our kids have some "country" in them! I think you should consider some livestock for your house. And I don't know if I will ever be able to come to your house because I will be so scared of all your dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, don't be afraid Heidi, they're all nice puppies. I'm trying to talk the hubby into chicken...we'll see how far I get.

    Jamie, Josh is hilarious! (viola, your comment!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. so you girls are going to think i'm crazy! (you, jamie and heidi) this is your cousin katie. i just found your blogs tonight, so i'm leaving messages with all of you. i love the blogs! it is so fun to see your family since we just don't get to see you often enough. i'll be checking in often!

    ReplyDelete