Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Part Time Jobs

There are no pictures for this entry, since I don't think my co-workers would appreciate it.(although, one of me in a painters mask would've been priceless) Yep, you heard me right, co-workers. Chris' company decided to have the wives come in and help out a few days a week, and so now I have a little part time job. With my husband. As my boss. And do you know what? He's a really great boss. Chris and I met at work and worked together for a while after we were first married, so in a way this is old hat. But, sixteen years of living with and loving someone sure makes working with them a piece of cake. And I'm not just saying that. He can tell before I say it when I don't understand something, or when I'm uncomfortable (you know too hot or cold) or when he needs something I'm already there to give it to him. Sixteen years of anticipating each others wants is a huge bonus in the work place.

Also, this has given me a whole new appreciation for what he does. His job is pretty physically demanding. I didn't realize that until after my first two days and I was completely wiped out. So what do I do? Pretty much whatever they tell me. (needless to say when I was asked to clean the bathroom, no instruction was needed, and I finished that task in record time. Cleaning I can do with my eyes closed, it's my main task at my current job after all.) There are three bosses, Adam (who also happens to be my brother in law) Sean, and Chris. I am a cable girl, I've learned to spool wire, then twist it with Adams machine and turn it into cable. (Adam also once had me help him prep parts to be painted, hence the mask.) Then I get to cut it into the right sizes to make the parts,(and everything is done via metric system...sure wish I'd paid more attention to that in school!) and yesterday, I started actually finishing them off. (I think they call it terminating cables, I'm not sure though) Which was really hard, and left my poor little hands just shaking from their unexpected workout. It's a mans job, with men tools, and when I crank down on the crimpers, my chair will slide because I'm pushing so hard. It's pretty funny. Oh, and did I mention that Chris works with all guys? Yeah, it's me and a bunch of guys. Who are all as old as me, and very nice. Over all it's been a fun experience, besides a good way to earn a few extra bucks. I just hope Chris isn't getting sick of me, because I'm loving the extra time with him.

But, (yes there is a but in this) it sure is hard to keep the house the way I like it when you're gone for 2 days. I really don't know how working moms do it, especially if they don't have awesome hubby's that finish the laundry while I'm running kids to dance like I do. And, it turns out I really like being a stay at home mom. Anyone who knows me knows that I waved goodbye to working sadly, and I assumed I'd be tickled to jump back in the work force. But, nine years of being at home, has ruined me. I love staying home with the kids. Although, going for hours at a time with no "will you wipe my butt" requests does have its advantages! Not to mention, working is ten times easier than being a house wife. (maybe not teaching school, because I think they are kind of similar) Ahhh, I'm to much an optimist to find a bad in anything!

Anyway, for the time being this has been a pretty sweet arrangement for us, although in the summer I don't think Riley will like it to much, since she'll be the babysitter. Well, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Until then, "Hi ho, hi ho it's off to work I go!" (whistle whistle whistle) where me having the hots for my boss is highly encouraged since he's also my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment